On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 08:09:12AM -0300, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> KS wrote:
> > Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> >
> >> This is interesting. I've changed the UserAgent to say Firefox instead
> >> of Iceweasel and that triangle is present (which I had never noticed, to
> >> say the truth, but is very nice), and other sites which did not
> >> recognize Iceweasel now work.
> >>
> >> Which leads to the question: Shouldn't Iceweasel at least advertise
> >> itself as Firefox? Because after all it _is_ Firefox, only with a
> >> different name.
> >>

> > Pretty sure that Mozilla.com won't allow that. Primarily because Firefox
> > is their trademark.
> >

> I'm no lawyer, but I doubt this is trademark infringement. It's like
> saying "This browser is similar to Firefox" or "based on Firefox", at
> least that's how I understand it.

Mozilla made the use of the Firefox brand contingent upon certain
conditions like using the lastest versions of Firefox to address
security issues instead of allowing Debian to address them for the
stable versions. Debian did not agree to all the conditions and thus
Iceweasel was born.
-k
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|