On 11-May-08, at 12:32 PM, "Pete Kay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

I am currently having 3 servers in the lan which is using dynamic IP addresses. Each time the router is rebooted, I have to reconfigure all the db ips and server ips.

Therefore, I want to assign host name to each machine such as "db" , "ser" etc, so that I don't use 192.168.x.x in my configure anymore.

Why not assign ip addresses based on the mac adresses of the individual machines. Since you don't have a big LAN addressing via / etc/hosts should work fine for you and you don't need to learn complicated DNS stuff.