On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 02:39:42AM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 05/14/2008 11:42 AM, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> >I get various errors during the update phase of aptitude.  Sometimes its
> >just "some files failed to download"; I guess it timed out or something.
> >I'm on dialup.  How to prevent absolute timeouts but allow (encourage)
> >aptitude to re-issue requests.
> >
> >Sometimes I get gpg errors.
> >
> >Last time, I get "Bizarre Error: file size not what the server
> >reported".

The mirrors must have been having problems or being updated; it worked
late last night.  This morning I finished fixing the ssh fiasco for all
users on all boxes.

> Perhaps you can use a slightly different procedure since your dialup is
> having problems. You can use "apt-get --print-uris upgrade" to get a
> list of URLs to download, and you can use wget to get the actual files.
> After the files MD5 sums are checked (how?), they can be placed in
> /var/cache/apt/archives. Wget can be told to retry and retry; it can
> also be told to continue failed downloads.
>
> Think of this as untested pseudocode for the first part of the process:
> mkdir /tmp/getem && ch /tmp/getem
> sudo apt-get --print-uris upgrade > getem.list
> wget --input-file=getem.list --tries=100 --continue

Yeah, I figured I could cobble something together from wget but I don't
know about the gpg problem.  This latter stuff is a low-priority problem
at which I'll poke as time and inclination permits.

Thanks,

Doug.