joseph lockhart wrote:

*/"Mumia W.." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>/* wrote:

    On 05/14/2008 08:57 AM, Javier Barroso wrote:
    > Hi list,

    Hi Javier.

    > Since one week ago I'm noticing firefox is sometimes
    [unresponsive] during
    > three or four seconds.
    >
    > First I experiment it with swiftfox, then I used Firefox
    (iceweasel) 2 and
    > the problem didn't go out. Then I switch to iceweasel 3 from
    experimental,
    > and I see this again.
    >
    > I don't know how can I debug this problem. iceweasel take high %
    cpu during
    > the time it is irresponsible.
    >
    > If I exec strace I get: [...]

    Do what I do: disable flash, disable javascript, don't visit
    youtube and
    leave FF loaded only so long as you need it.

opera is a good option, personally I use several browsers for different things
    - opera - general browsing
- konqueror - file management, troubleshooting when using online helps (the built in terminal is quite useful here) - firefox - the web apps that I need for work need both java and flash so no option here - lynx/elinks - when I am reading documents (who says we need fancy things like pictures) - dillo - I keep this around because I am intrested in its development, it seems to have great potential in becoming a top of the line, lightweight browser

jwlockhart

I'd agree with this approach. I have Kazehakase set up with TOR + Privoxy with the same option in Iceweasel when I want it; Opera for Google.com/linux searching and as Icedove default browser, Epiphany and Iceape for general browsing and Konqueror for "fish" connections with my laptop. Oh yes, I also have Dillo for basic no nonsense browsing.

This is probably overload, but the two reasons I keep Iceweasel going is because of its flash compatibility as well as the add-ons/extensions that I like. Too bad Epiphany doesn't come with extensions like the weather or an Athens toolbar, but oh well.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the
answers." - Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"