Greetings fellow Debianite

I just got them installed on my system. These backports (presuming
you are using Etch) are sort of odd in their install in that  three or
four of the packages depend on one or both of the other packages
being installed first. Meaning its a vicious circle and a LOT of hoop
jumping. In your list below are the cridders in question.

I got them installed be downloading the packages then installing them
by hand doing a: "dpkg --unpack <package file name>" then doing a:
"dpkg --configure <all 3 package names>". (Now mind you these is not
the package FILE names. Just the package names) Once I finally got
this done I was able to install the rest of Java 6. Some of the Java
packages will work on both the i386 an AMD64. Downloading Java 6
from Sun will not work as this is a 32 bit package.

I kind of got the impression while working to load these that Debian
offer these Sun Java packages so they can say they offer them but
try to discourage people from using what they consider propietory
software by placing the interdependencies on three or four of the
packages to make them difficult to load. For hell sakes who makes
a group of packages that require the others to be installed first!
Sun Java ought be made into one package. I'll bet their worried
about the possible legality of thing. Things are getting so paranoid
out there.

BTY: You will experience the same difficulty when installing Adobe
Acrobat Reader for AMD64.

--
Best Regards
Walt L. Williams

.
On Wednesday, 28 May 2008 3:24 am, Tony Maher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install java6 from etch backports on an amd64 machine.
> Problem is that sun-java6-jre (machine independent) is version
> 6-06-1~bpo40+1
> (which is version  i386 uses) but the rest of amd64 sun-java5 packages are
> 6-00-2~bpo.1
>
> apt-get -s install -f sun-java6-jre sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-doc
> sun-java6-demo sun-java6-bin
>   Reading package lists... Done
>   Building dependency tree... Done
>   Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
>   requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
>   distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
>   or been moved out of Incoming.
>   The following information may help to resolve the situation:

YEP, the cridders in question !!!!!!!!!!!!! They are interdependent.