On Monday 16 June 2008, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 10:17 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On 06/16/08 07:09, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > > A certain version of SuSE would set the desktop background to red
> > > if you logged in as root.
> >
> > As did Mandrake, when I left it for Debian.  I always thought it
> > was a good idea.
>
> Seems like it would be better to just disallow root logins to X.  And
> to use PGP MIME instead of long-ago deprecated inline PGP.

I use root logins to X, but usually while setting up a system.  I work
better with a GUI.  I know that's not a cool thing to say on a geek
list, but it's the way my brain works.  When I set up a system, lots of
times there's mount points to create and other things I need to do that
involved a program like Konqueror.

Also my clients use a program I wrote that needs to be installed as root
for some of the setup scripts, but I needed cross-platform GUI
installer and wasn't going to spend days writing my own, so I settled
on IZPack, which I like so much I've contributed to it.  A console
installer was not an option because I needed one installer (try
maintaining 2 installers, one for Windows, one for Linux!) for both
platforms and needed something for people that think the blue "e"
stands for Enternet instead of Internet.  The result is needing to use
a GUI installer that has to be run as root.  Not my favorite option,
but a necessary one.

On my system, when I'm testing, I can run Xeypher from the command line
so it's not a serious problem and have been willing to walk the few
Linux-using clients of mine through the same process.

Hal