I've been googling for hours trying to figure out how to solve this
problem that arised from the last upgrade:

I use lenny and the fglrx driver. With the last upgrade all fglrx
packages were upgraded from version 8.4.1 to 8.5.1. As with every fglrx
upgrade, I used m-a to rebuild the kernel modules.

After that, "Switching user" from gnome (GDM) crashed the system to the
point that not even sysrq would work.
Other procedures, such as stopping gdm and starting it again had the
same results (restarting it didn't).

The worst part is that there's nothing in the logs, it just crashes the
whole system silently.

I tried the following stuff with no success:
- Purging every fglrx package, reinstall and rebuild modules.
- Disabling composite in xorg.conf.
- Building xorg.conf from scratch (with fglrx-control)
- Use the vesa driver: This actually solved the Switch User problem, but
created a lot of others.

My video card is an ATI Radeon HD2400 (which means that, until the
radeonhd driver is ready, I have to stick with fglrx).

Anyway, I just downgraded to 8.4.1 and am able to switch users again
(with some limitations, but that's another story). If anyone has any
clue on what the problem could be, please let me know.

Thanks!

--
Gabriel Parrondo
GNU/Linux User #404138

"The only difference between theory and practice is that, in theory,
there's no difference between theory and practice."