On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:26:56AM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> I feel so dirty.  I am using vmworkstation because at the time I wanted to
> learn Linux server things, not vm things.  Now I am looking at Xen and it
> seems interesting.  However, I am having a hard time on finding good info (I
> admit, I am not putting in hours of research, just 20 min here and there when
> the thought strikes me).  I I have really found so far is this:
>
> http://julien.danjou.info/xen.html  ignore the "not maintained" message, the
> guy updated it enough to still be relevant.  I have not found anything yet to
> tell me how to set up "host only" networking.
>
> I want one VM to act as a router like this:
>
> WAN<--eth0 192.168.200.15/24-->dom0 <---eth1--192.168.200.16/24->domU<---virt
> ethX--192.168.1.16/24--->other domUs

there is information about this on the shorewall website:
http://www.shorewall.net/XenMyWay.html, though it's extremely
complicated and likely more than you need. It got me started
though. Combined with pciback(see Xen wiki for info) to move my
red-zone interface to my domU firewall, it works pretty well. I have

WAN <- physical eth0 moved to domU (firewall) with pciback
                eth1 in firewall domU 192.168.2.1<- DMZ domUs (mail, web, etc)
                eth2 in f/w domU 192.168.1.1<- dom0 fileserver and LAN

The whole thing is a little dodgy, and seems kind of fragile. It
doesn't always work well on a reboot, as I don't seem to have the
interfaces coming up in the right order, but it does work.