Hakan BAYINDIR wrote:
> Volkan YAZICI wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Jul 2008, Hakan BAYINDIR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>> #
>>> # CPU Frequency scaling
>>> #
>>> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
>>> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=m
>>> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG is not set
>>> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=m
>>> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS is not set
>>> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
>>> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
>>> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND is not set
>>> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_CONSERVATIVE is not set
>>> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
>>> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=m
>>> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=m
>>> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=m
>>> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=m
>>>
>>> #
>>> # CPUFreq processor drivers
>>> #
>>> CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=m
>>> CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K6=m
>>> CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K7=m
>>> CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K7_ACPI=y
>>> CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8=m
>>> CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8_ACPI=y
>>> CONFIG_X86_GX_SUSPMOD=m
>>> CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO=m
>>> CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO_TABLE=y
>>> CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_ICH=m
>>> CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_SMI=m
>>> CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD=m
>>> CONFIG_X86_CPUFREQ_NFORCE2=m
>>> CONFIG_X86_LONGRUN=m
>>> CONFIG_X86_LONGHAUL=m
>>> CONFIG_X86_E_POWERSAVER=m
>> Also "lsmod" output will be helpful as well.
>>

>> Regards.
>>

> After subscribing to cpu-freq mailing list and asking the same question here,
> Venkatesh Pallipadi from intel answered my question. He said that since
> voltages
> in a CPU package is constant across cores, keeping frequencies low on other
> cores while clocking one up doesn't save considerable amount of power. Because
> of this fact, they keep the frequencies in a core synchronized if possible.
>
> Since his message is more informational than that, I'm quoting information
> parts
> from the conversation below:
>
>> In actual hardware, voltage is coordinated at socket level and that is the
>> reason frequencies in one socket are tied together. Now, what has changed in
>> two above config will be the mode in which kernel operates:
>> 1) Hardware coordination mode: Kernel thinks each core is having independent
>> frequency and reports the same. Underneath, hardware does frequency
>> coodination and picks the highest requested frequency among all cores and
>> runs all cores at that freq.
>> 2) Software coordination mode: Kernel understands which specific CPUs are
>> dependent and picks the highest frequency needed among all such dependent
>> cores and makes single request for such frequency and reports the same.
>>
>> Note that there should not be any power consumption difference with these
>> two kernels on under identical load. Just that the kernel now knows more
>> about the frequency dependencies in the platform.
>
> and
>
>> Both Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad, voltage is sync'ed across all cores in a
>> single socket due to VR restriction. Most of the power savings from lower
>> freq comes from lower voltage. As all cores in a single socket runs on same
>> voltage here, independent voltage is not possible. On a real multi-socket
>> system (dual or quad socket serves, cores in each socket can be at different
>> frequencies though).
>>
>> Older linux kernel only supports hardware coordination which explains the
>> pre 2.6.21 behavior. Newer Linux kernel picks up hardware coordination mode
>> or software coordination mode based on depending on BIOS capability and
>> information it gets from BIOS ACPI table. So, it is possible that different
>> systems have different coordination mode active, with same kernel.
>

> Thanks to all for your help and time,
>
> Cheers and Regards,
>
> --Hakan
>
> P.S:
>
> For reference, my PC configuration is below:
>
> CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600, 2.4GHz
> M/B: MSI P35 Platinum, BIOS ver. 1.8
> RAM: 4GB OCz Flex XLC CL3 DDR2
> Distro: Debian testing
> Kernel: 2.6.24-1-686-bigmem

Umm a last, small clarification: It seems like Core series CPUs cannot scale
their cores independently and this was an illusion I saw from kernel behavior.
After reading the conversation again, I got it completely.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

--Hakan.