before i can log a bug i need to work out what's going on. is there a
system log i can check for a system freeze? i've never had such a
harsh crash before.

when i'm playing videos my computer locks up and goes blank. X crashed
to a commandline once so i thought it may be my xorg, dpkg-reconfigure
xorg-xserver to a basic conf did nothing.

i thought it was the new 8.6 ati driver but it does the same with 8.4.

i thought it was the debian-multimedia packages because the thumbnails
of everything possible to thumbnail went green after a
gstreamer-ffmpeg update. removing all deb-multi packages and going
back back to official helped the thumbnails but didn't help playback
crashes.

i've used totem-gstreamer, totem-xine, vlc, mplayer all were able to
play sometimes but most were either green or audio only.

totem-xine was probably the best at playing correctly but since i've
been playing around it crashes on almost every video and i'm not sure
which log i can check for errors.

i've been trying to work out why this is happening but i never had to
bother with playing multimedia before so i'm a bit lost.

at worst i'll just reinstall a fresh system as my data and home are
all on seperate partitions. i just wanted to see if anyone has any
ideas before giving up.