On 18/07/08 01:35, Frank McCormick wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 22:56:40 +0100
"Michal R. Hoffmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 16/07/08 22:38, Frank McCormick wrote:
[]
> > video quality is kind of crappy ( it is a Microsoft camera after all)
> but it does work. Thanks

The camera is not bad itself - it works quite well in MS Windows (I have that webcam and tested both on MS Win and Linux). But then there are proprietary MS drivers and it won't work that smooth on Linux.

  Its the really bad video quality which bugs me - and the alledged
adjustbility of hue, colour, brightness and contrast is a joke. It does put
a picture of sorts on the screen.

In Linux, yes, it's horrible. But this is a matter of drivers not the hardware I believe. Well, I'm impressed with the fact there are _any_ kernel modules (gspca) which work with the webcam.

Logitech
webcams are much better with Linux and the price will be similar (I tested Sphere-AF recently, it's absolutely fantastic!).

  Maybe I'll spring for one of these. I should have known Micro$oft stuff
wouldn't work too well with Linux :)

You'll need few packages installed then, including uvc module and luvcview. Note, there are Orbit MP and Orbit AF; from what I read the latter works better with Linux. It has 'motorised' tilt and pan control, which is quite awesome, but you'll need to get lucview source to tinker with and compile yourself to access these features - you can google it out.

Thanks for your comments
- -- Frank -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You're welcome. Good luck with webcams :)

--
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann