s. keeling wrote:
Peter Daum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
 #  dpkg -l fortune*|grep ii
 ii  fortune-mod    1.99.1-3.1     provides fortune cookies on demand
 ii  fortunes       1.99.1-3.1     Data files containing fortune cookies
 ii  fortunes-min   1.99.1-3.1     Data files containing fortune cookies

(0) phreaque /home/keeling_ pkgs fortune | egrep '^i'
i   fortune-mod                     - provides fortune cookies on demand
i   fortunes                        - Data files containing fortune cookies
i   fortunes-min                    - Data files containing fortune cookies

fwiw, also etch.  I can only guess charset clash (ASCII/utf-8), and it
knows not to bother opening anything as it knows it can't translate?  Guess.

I normally use ISO8859-1, but the locale setting doesn't make a difference.
The installed data files only use ASCII anyway. Actually, I really can't
see much potential for something as simple as "fortune" to go wrong ;-)

I just tried an ages old fortune program that I still had around, which
(after adjusting the path of the data files with a symlink) works fine
with the Debian data files ...