Wayne Topa wrote:

> Jonathan Kaye wrote:
>> Wayne Topa wrote:

> <--SNIP-->

>>> Try    modprobe acer_wmi
>>>
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ grep -i acer /boot/coacer_wmi
>>> /boot/config-2.6.25-2-amd64:CONFIG_ACER_WMI=m
>>>

>>> Wayne
>> Thank you Wayne,
>> I'll change that to /boot/config-2.6.25-2-686:CONFIG_ACER_WMI=m
>
> Change what??  The last line was a hint as to find out if the module
> was in the kernel or not.
>
> Just use modprobe acer_wmi, better yet do
> cat "acer_wmi"  >> /etc/modules
> which will add that module to the end of the /etc/modules file.
>
> Remember to use the >> 'not' > or you will wipe out the other modules in
> that file.
>
> Have fun....
>
> Wayne
Hi Wayne,
What confused me was that I already did the modprobe acer_wmi (except that I
used the verbose -v switch) and I reported the result before my arrggghh.
I get FATAL: Error inserting acer_wmi
(/lib/modules/2.6.25-2-686/kernel/drivers/misc/acer-wmi.ko): No such
device.
I tried that again and the same fatal error. I can do as you suggest and
manually insert the acer_wmi into the /etc/modules file.

BTW, in dmesg, the acer_wmi module is mentioned with the message that it
cannot be loaded because there is no interface. ??????????
This is not my machine so I can't verify anything at the moment but if you'd
like more info I'll post it in a few minutes.
Thanks again but not having fun yet,
Jonathan