This laptop has Lenny installed.  It has a built in IBM 3945 wireless
card.  Once I installed the firmware-iwlwifi package the laptop
recognized this card and allowed me to configure it.  While I usually
use a RJ-45 cable connection to connect to networks, I am presently
temporarily located where a wireless connection is more convenient.

By using KDE's "Network Settings" page, accessible from the KDE control
panel under "Internet & Network", I was at first able to make this
connection in automatic DHCP mode by entering the ESSID and the
hexadecimal WEP key.  This arrangement however had its problems.  At
first I selected "Network Settings" to activate this connection on boot
up, but it did not work.  After switching off this selection I was then
able to establish the connection manually, but had to re-enter the ESSID
and the key -- and select "hexadecimal" for the key instead of ascii" --
several times in "Network Settings" before I finally would get a connection.

This arrangement worked for about a week, but now I am no longer able to
connect no matter what I do.  "Ifconfig wlan0" returns the following:

wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Tx-Power=15 dBm
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B
          Encryption key:4765-6973-6265-7267-7374-7231-37
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

 Both the ESSID and the Encryption key are correct, but Access Point: is
"Not Associated".

"Iwlist wlan0 scan" returns, in part the following:

Cell 01 - Address: 00:04:0E:76:FF:46
                    ESSID:"FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050"
                    Mode:Master
                    Channel:6
                    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
                    Quality=91/100  Signal level=-40 dBm  Noise
level=-127 dBm
                    Encryption key:on
                    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 22 Mb/s
                              6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s
                              36 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
                    Extra:tsf=000000950e6329f5

"Ifup wlan" returns "ifup: interface wlan0 already configured".

These are the same settings I have been using all week, and now they
don't work.  I would certainly like to know why, and what to do -- not
only to get the connection working again, but also to be able to
activate it on boot up.

Regards,

Ken Heard