Jochen Schulz wrote:
Hugo Vanwoerkom:
But that the combination of 'Y's and 'M's is immaterial as to the functioning of the driver.

Am I correct?

Generally yes. There are modules which are better compiled statically
(IDE/S-ATA, filesystems) but they work either way.

This in regard to trying to get smartctl to work with my external USB ATA drive. Which works OK with the debian kernel but not in my own compiled one.

Are you sure you could successfully run smartctl no a drive attached via
USB? As fas as I know, SMART values cannot be read from a device if it
is attached to a USB port.

Got the graphs to prove it. It's been discussed.
I have 2 USB exterior disk enclosures, one with an ATA drive, one with a SATA drive. Under 2.6.26-1-686 (sid) I can do:

smartctl -d sat /dev/sda --all -T permissive

and get good data.
I *cannot* do that with the SATA drive.

Unfortunately I cannot determine what in the Debian .config made that work.

Hugo