Steven Maddox writes:
> I'm starting to be really annoyed with Gnome... it now comes with
> Epiphany, Evolution, SEVENTEEN games, and god knows what else... you try
> and remove these extras and it wants to remove all of Gnome - surely the
> core of Gnome can't possibly really require these extra applications to
> function.

The gnome metapackage is not the "core of Gnome".  It is an empty package
that depends on a list of packages that the Gnome maintainers consider the
"complete Gnome desktop".  It exists only as a convenience.  Removing it
has no effect (Your package manager may offer to remove the packages that
depend on it as they were automatically installed but you can refuse).

> Does anyone have any tips (even if it means I do an install of Debian
> without X and build up from there) on how to get a sleek and slim copy of
> Gnome running?

Forget about "installing Gnome" and just install the specific Gnome
packages you want.

> i.e. Panel and Alacarte only?

aptitude install gnome-panel alacarte

> I'm not even overly concerned with Nautilus as I prefer Thunar.

aptitude install thunar

Eduardo M Kalinowski writes:
> Look for some package like gnome-minimal, gnome-core, etc., that installs
> only the minimal requirements, then install other parts as necessary.

You can do that if you want to, but it isn't necessary.  Just install the
packages you need.  The package management system will take care of the
dependencies.
--
John Hasler