On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:29:16PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 11/11/08 21:46, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> >Its an HP NetServer LPr, Dual P-II 450 MHz, 256 MB ram, 2x9GB SCSI drive
> >2U server.  Its basically $60 CDN (plus tax) and I can drive to pick it
> >up (no shipping cost).  They have 4 available.  If there's a chance it
> >would work for my wife, it would be inexpensive enough.
>
> Then you know that U refers to "rack height", and that this server
> is 3.5" tall.

Yes I know its a rack mount.  Its short, 19" wide (or so) and deep (I
think of it as fitting on a desk, sideways [front panel at the end of
the desk]).

> >I know that computers keep getting quieter

Clarification: desktop computers.  The Tyan (two P-133 fans, CPU fan) is
noiser than my P-II (even with its messed-up CPU fan bearing), which is
far noisier than my Athlon64 box.

> No, they keep getting louder.  Especially rack-mounted servers,
> since they expect to live in racks with *big* fans above them, and
> moving heat away is of higher priority than being silent.

> >but I wonder what the fan noise would compare to, say a dual P-133 box?
> >(This tyan box works just fine [except for the RTC-embedded battery] but
> >is a bit slow (I haven't tried iceweasel on it yet) and is short on
> >memory; memory would cost more than this 2U server).

I'll probably just have to go an see/hear it, but I wonder about the
nature of the noise:

        is it high-pitch and directional or low-pitch and omnipresent?

        Does it eminate from a particular place (e.g. out the front from
        the drives, out the rear), or is it coupled to the case itself?

        I know that they only have to move air front to back since they
        are designed to have hot neighbours above and below.  If the
        noise is coming from the case top/bottom itself, could
        sound-absorbing material help (since there aren't vents here)?

        Could the unit be placed in a ventilated cabinet with doors,
        which is lined with sound-absorbing material?

Its not like I'm planning to use the box to watch movies.  I'll probably
still be sending email from a VT220.

> >The 9 GB drives are what come with it (that's what was available at the
> >time, I guess).  With servers, is there any problem plunking in larger
> >SCSI drives (same type of SCSI)?
>
> Nope...

Handy.

Thanks,