Hi everyone,

I'm having some major problems with Lenny on a new Dell PC (only 2 months old). The problems only started this week after I upgraded my system.

I wrote to this list earlier in the week about GCONF-CRITICAL and other issues. And I followed Lee's and Sven's advice-- thanks! But my system was very badly messed up and I could not fix it. So, I backed up all my data and re-installed Lenny this morning.

Unfortunately, I'm still having major problems:
1. apt-check takes 100% control of 1 of 4 cpus
2. iceweasel will not start (from the command line) due to a segmentation fault 3. I tried to install icedove but the .DEB package downloaded by aptitude was initially corrupt; I removed the file from the cache and tried again; aptitude claims to have installed it successfully but it won't run from the command line or the applications menu
4. "apt-get update" fails:
bzip2: data integrity error when decompressing
E: Some index files failed to download...

I'm using an official Debian repository (ftp.uk.debian.org) and have not installed anything except for icedove. I have installed a standard, desktop system only.

I've used Debian for four years. I'm no expert just a regular user. How can I determine what's wrong? What to do next?

Regards,
Nick