Hi,

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 09:55:09AM +0000, Anton Piatek wrote:
> I work for a company that uses a specific java build - we are only
> allowed to download it from a specific internal site, that is
> authenticated.
> I have written a package that downloads and builds it into a deb
> (using make-jpkg + extra definitions) as part of the postinst script.
> I would like it to install the package too, however everything i have
> tried doesnt work
>
> Obviously dpkg is locked, so tried forking a background bash process
> to wait for it to become unlocked and then install, but the postinst
> seems to wait for that to exit - so waits forever.
>
> Short of adding a cronjob that tries to install it, and deletes itself
> when done, can anyone think of any other ways I can have a deb marked
> for installation after apt/dpkg is done with the current operation?
> I have been unable to find anything built-in to dpkg that would let me
> add it to the list of files to install, but maybe it exists?

If you have access to the local archive, you can think to create
divert-apts package and upload to the archive.  Make your package to
pre-depends on it.

This package diverts apt-get, aptitude, or whatever package managers
which people uses and installs a C-program which runs diverted command
and an additional command to install generated local packages.

This avoids cron and always run installation after quiting packaging
system.

This is just a thought ....

JUst be careful with the intent of your company policy.  If they had
placed such rule, doing such thing defeats its original intent.  This
kind of diversion may not be appreciated by them.

Osamu