On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 13:57:29 +0100, Davide Mancusi wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> > Are you dual-booting with Windows?
>
>       Nope.
>
> > Is your hardware clock set to UTC or local time? (If you do not
> > remember how you configured this when you installed the system, look
> > at the output of "grep UTC /etc/default/rcS".)
>
>       When I installed the system I was dual-booting with Windoze, so
> the clock was set to local time; I have set it to UTC since I got rid
> of Win.

OK, since you do not dual-boot we can rule out what is probably the most
common reason of such problems: Windows "adjusting" the time at its
first startup after the DST switch because it has no way of knowing that
Linux has already corrected the clock.

> # date && hwclock -r
> dom nov 16 13:53:50 CET 2008
> dom 16 nov 2008 12:50:07 CET  -0.432112 seconds

It seems that hwclock still thinks that the clock is set to local time;
you can check this with "tail -n1 /etc/adjtime". (hwclock does not read
the setting in /etc/default/rcS, it simply uses the setting remembered
from the last successful hardware clock adjustment, unless you override
this with an explicit command line option.) It furthermore is off by
more than three minutes, which either means you did not reboot in quite
a while or that something goes wrong with the hardware clock during
startup and shutdown.

Try this as root:

hwclock --utc -w

then compare "date" and "hwclock -r" again.

> # zdump -v /etc/localtime | grep 2008
> /etc/localtime  Sun Mar 30 00:59:59 2008 UTC = Sun Mar 30 01:59:59 2008 CET
> isdst=0 gmtoff=3600
> /etc/localtime  Sun Mar 30 01:00:00 2008 UTC = Sun Mar 30 03:00:00 2008 CEST
> isdst=1 gmtoff=7200
> /etc/localtime  Sun Oct 26 00:59:59 2008 UTC = Sun Oct 26 02:59:59 2008 CEST
> isdst=1 gmtoff=7200
> /etc/localtime  Sun Oct 26 01:00:00 2008 UTC = Sun Oct 26 02:00:00 2008 CET
> isdst=0 gmtoff=3600

That is OK; your system knows when the DST switches occur.

>       chronyd was holding /dev/rtc, so I had to kill it before running
> hwclock.

Make sure that this is not a problem during shutdown and startup; watch
out for the messages about saving and restoring the hardware clock
and/or check "grep clock /var/log/syslog".

If you have persistent problems with hwclock and /dev/rtc then you might
have to use "--directisa" to work around that (see the manpage of
hwclock).

          Florian   |