Hi Anthony,
On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Anthony Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The modules loaded seem to be the same whether sound works or not. I
> get:
>
> snd_pcm_oss            41760  0
> snd_mixer_oss          18816  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_ens1371            27328  2
> snd_usb_audio          91296  0

I'm not sure if smb_usb_audio is loaded too if you haven't got a usb sound card.

But, if you have 2 sounds cards (one usb), perhaps alsa is changing
the order of the cards:

cat /proc/asound/cards

I had to make a script to change my default card on my .asoundrc file
because alsa recognized my usb sound card like first sound card one
time and like second sound card another times. I know should be a udev
rule for that but I don't know how write it yet.

If it is not your case, sorry for the noise.