On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 06:36 +0100, Phillipus Gunawan wrote:

> Thanks for the reply,
>
> I admit, yes, it was mistake to create both NIC on the same subnet,
> though I need to study more about this
>
> 'ping 10.1.1.5' on my Debian
> - with eth0 only, resulting: From 10.1.1.4 icmp_seq=10 Destination
> Host Unreachable
> - with eth1 only, resulting: 64bytes from 10.1.1.5: icmp_seq=1 ttl=125
> time=0.080ms
>
> Please guide me
> If I still want to make the same IPs on each NIC, subnetting /8
> and /24 will solve the problem?
> With eth1 connected, I can log in into my Webmin either by address
> https://10.1.1.1:10000 or https://10.1.1.4:10000 from other host (e.g.
> 10.1.1.5)
> why is that?
>
> Thanks

You can not have the same IP on each NIC.

What is possible; is to have an IP on each NIC from the same
(sub)network range, but that makes routing less transparent. Better go
with ip from different subnet ranges for each NIC: e.g. 10.0.1.2/24 for
eth0 and 10.0.2.2/24 for eth1.

What is the purpose of the whole exercise?
(important question for what to do next!)

If the computers function is *only* a firewall, you might want to look
into bridging.

Best,

Rob