On Tuesday 13 January 2009 02:09:09 debian-user-digest-
requ...@lists.debian.org wrote:
> >> Just bought my daughter a telescope. It came a "cybersky" program
> >> which would not install using wine. Of course, there are native Linux
> >> programs around, Celestia and Kstars.
> >>
> >> Kstars is simple soooo slooooow as to be unusable. Celestia, on the
> >> other hand, performs quite well, even with my "legacy" Nvidia card.
> >> Only problem is that most of the planet images are blank, simply a
> >> light disk. Must be missing something. Where do get the data?
> >> Installed off Sid.
> >
> > The source code contains the images. After download, just copy the
> > content of directory 'textures' to /usr/share/celestia/textures.
> > It was working in Etch out-of-the-box, though. I did the same after
> > upgrade. I haven't checked the bug reports since then.
>
> Hi, just in case you don't know it already, official add-ons are to be
> found on http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/
>
> A lot of stuff is also available through celestia forum, but anything
> not the above repository shouldn't be considered stable/safe.

It turns out that the installation I had was left over from somewhere, i.e.
the original knoppix CD. Installing the package (testing now) and the "non-
free" common with all the data got it working correctly.

My daughter's telescope is not something KStars could control. That program
runs too slow to really be pleasant to use. Celestia's animations move the way
they should.