On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 18:59:12 -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 07:37:41 -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:

[...]

>>> I have checked, and most of the xserver-xorg-video-* files are
>>> installed.  Specifically, xserver-xorg-video-all,
>>> xserver-xorg-video-sis, and xserver-xorg-video-vesa are all
>>> installed.   How do I instruct xorg to use a specific driver.  The
>>> current xorg.conf  file makes no mention of the driver to use.  I
>>> tried adding the line  from my old xorg.conf file, to use the vesa
>>> driver, but then I am back  to X simply not loading.  Is this
>>> information kept in a different  location now?  It may well be that
>>> if I can get X to use the vesa  driver, as it did before, that these
>>> problems, at least, will go away.   Then I can concentrate on others,
>>> like my digital camera.
>>>

>> AFAIK, it should still work to put
>>
>>     Driver    "vesa"
>>
>> into the Device section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf; maybe the newer vesa
>> driver has a problem with your chipset. It might help to look at the
>> output of
>>
>> grep -E '^\((EE|WW)\)|drivers' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>>
>> after starting X in the two different configurations (with and without
>> trying to enforce using the vesa driver). This should at least give us a
>> better idea about the reason of the crashes with vesa and which problems
>> the sis module might have.
>>

> This is what I get when I do NOT specify a driver:
>
> (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
> (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//sis_drv.so
> (WW) Configured Mouse: No Device specified, looking for one...

Nothing unusual here and nothing that helps us. You could try some of
the options mentioned in "man sis", e.g. Option "DRI" "false"; maybe one
of them will restore your ability to switch VTs. The only other thing
that I can think of is trying to catch the crash upon VT switch with a
debugger as described here

http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/ServerDebugging

and submitting the backtrace to the BTS. You should also have a look at
the Xorg bugtracker; you seem to have run into a regression of the
driver, which might be known already. There does not seem to be a -dbg
package available for the sis driver, though. The slightly newer package
from experimental might be worth a try, too.

> This is what I get when I add 'Driver      "vesa"'
>
> (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
> (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//vesa_drv.so
> (WW) VESA(0): Unable to estimate virtual size
> 7: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//vesa_drv.so [0xb7b3ba8f]
> 8: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//vesa_drv.so [0xb7b3c66e]

Not sure what to make of this; unfortunately, the vesa package does not
seem to have debugging symbols either.

> In any case, whether X loads with the Sis driver and then I exit, or if
> X never loads when I try to use the vesa driver, I always get the
> following error:
>
>    Emulator asked to make a suspect byte access to port 4 (0x0004);
> terminating.

Maybe this is related:

          Florian   |