On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 16:22:07 +0100
Adrian Chapela <achapela.rexist...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Micha Feigin escribió:
> > On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:41:43 +0100
> > Adrian Chapela <achapela.rexist...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Hello!
> >>
> >> I am doing my own tests with Ext4. It has better performance than ext3
> >> FS. On some tests that I have done, I have 40 MB/s more than the same
> >> hardware with ext3 FS. Have you seen the same ?
> >>
> >> My doubt is about the stability, is it really for production use ? I
> >> want to know that because I am really interested in use in production
> >> use (like most of us, I think...). I have done some tests about crash
> >> recovery and I have seen a good response. I have copied a lot of files
> >> and I have cutted power on server. The filesystem is OK after the power
> >> is connected again. I want to try with a mysql server on a intensive
> >> inserting/writing, I think this is a good tes to do, because a database
> >> server needs very reliable filesystem.
> >>
> >> Regards, Adrián
> >>

> > I'm having a good experience with it, but I would use it at least with
> > kernel 2.6.28 and up (when it went from ext4dev to ext4). The problem is
> > that ubuntu and debian live and rescue cds are kernel 2.6.27 and 2.6.26
> > respectively so they won't be able to boot into the system.
> Yes I know, I am using my own 2.6.28 compiled kernel (Debian way
> compiled ;) ). I know this problem but at this moment is a secondary
> problem, I think a lot of linux distributions will launch new versions
> with ext4 capable kernel.
> >  Also if you want boot on the ext4
> > partition you will need to use grub2 as grub doesn't support ext4.
> Another good tip to save in my mind.
> > The last
> > thing is that laptopmode doesn't seem to work as well with ext4 as of now.
> >
> Yes, It could be the reason of the problem that someone had with his
> partitions. His partitions locked for a few seconds before they gave a
> response again.

‎that is usually not a laptopmode problem, unless it is doing it's work and the
disk had to spin up before a read.
In case this is a laptop (otherwise laptopmode usually isn't relevant  anyway,
although it may prolong disk life at the expense of response time), does it
have hdaps (shock protection) enabled? I had this problem where the laptop just
locked up on the train due to too low a threshold for parking the disk heads.