On Jan 28, 2009, at 2:08 PM, Kushal Koolwal wrote:

Hi Rick,
If you will, it's doing the JFFS2 thing for you -- you don't need the software in the kernel to do it a second time.

Do you know any resource where I can find the steps on how to install on JFFS2?

Also I was wondering if all this what we discussed regarding ext2 (noatime or relatime option) on USB flash drive holds true for USB hard drives also? AFAIU USB hard drives are exactly like IDE hard drives with just an USB interface. I am assuming that just having ext3 would be fine for USB hard drives?

Thanks

I do blog at http://blogs.koolwal.net/

USB hard drives don't have the problem that flash drives do. They are just IDE hard drives with a USB to IDE adapter, so you can write to the same block as many times as you like and not wear it out.

In case it's not clear, the problem with using flash (whether USB or CF) is that the individual transistors used to store the bits wear out after a limited number of writes. That number is variously reported as being as low as 10,000, or as much as 1,000,000 writes per transistor. It's been improving over time as the technology matures, and recent thumb drives are also larger, so a 16GB thumb drive is probably good for several million writes spread out across the entire device, assuming the adaptation layer in the drive is doing its job.

If you're using CF instead of USB drives, you don't have the USB adaptation layer to spread out the writes. So JFFS2, or something like it, will be desirable for them. But outside of the embedded computing world, using CF directly without an intervening adapter is rare.

I can't help you with a HOW-TO for installing to JFFS2. But I understand there is an "embedded Debian" mailing list ("Embeddian"? maybe).

Rick