On Sunday 01 February 2009 16:17:15 raman narasimhan wrote:
> 'm a lenny/sid user and have currently got kde4.1
> i wanted to get kde4.2, googling 'kde4.2', i learnt that it was there in
> sid. so i decided to update kde, funny that *both aptitude and apt-get said
> i've the latest kde*.
>
> debian:~# aptitude -t experimental install kde4
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Writing extended state information... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
> No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
> Writing extended state information... Done
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
>
> *my sources.list is:*
> #
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-1
> 20070407-11:40]/ etch contrib main
>
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-1
> 20070407-11:40]/ etch contrib main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
>
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian etch main
>
> deb http://kde4.debian.net/ lenny main
>

> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
>

> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
> -----> isn't this enough to get kde4.2????
> deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
> # deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
> # deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
>
> whats wrong?? how can i get kde4.2??

You appear not to have experimental in your sources.list.  I have googled and
there appears to be such a thing as an experimental repository.

I didn't reply earlier because I don't really know, since I have never used
experimental myself.  But I wanted to spare the list from yet another email
asking exactly the same thing.  (3 so far today).  If people don't reply it
means one of:

They don't feel inclined to reply
They don't know
They haven't looked at this list since your emails arrived

Repeating yourself doesn't help and can irritate.

It might be worth a visit to www.debian.org to read up on experimental.

HTH
Lisi