Hi,

for the first time I try to get a second monitor at my laptop,
so far with limited success:

Monitors: Internal LVDS 1280×800, external VGA 1280×1024.
Video: Intel GM965/GL960.
Software: Debian 5.0, Gnome. Exception: X is from experimental.
Initial layout: two identical pictures of 1024×786 each.

With grandr, I can fix the resolution of each screen (just by
selecting "Auto") and put VGA right of my LVDS (Layout). I have
to move the upper and lower panels from the VGA to the LVDS with
the mouse, though.

Windows and dialogues pop up either on LVDS or VGA, without any
logic.

First question: How can I save the setting, so that I don't have
to do this every time (fix the resolution and move the panels to
my primary screen)?

Second question: How can I influence, where new windows and
dialogues will pop up? E.g. "always LVDS" would be fine.

Many thanks in advance!