On 21 Mar, Justin The Cynical wrote:

(about VMware Server 2.0)
> And if you find a better way to access the server under Linux that
> that $%#$^%! web UI crap, please let me know!!!

Use version 1 instead?
1.0.8 is the latest, it was updated even after 2.0 was released.
It is far less resource hungry than 2.0.

Added features in 2.0 include:
- support for new guest systems such as Windows Server 2008, Vista,
  Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5;
- runs on 64-bit hosts;
- 64-bit guests are installable on 64-bit hardware;
- support for USB 2.0.

So, if you do not need any of these, 1.0.8 would suffice.
Obtainable from www.vmware.com/download/server/
Haven't tried it yet though.

BTW, I do have VirtualBox, XP runs fine in it, but W95/98 is hardly
suitable for it.
Guest Additions cannot be installed in a VirtualBox W95/98 VM;
it is a hassle to exchange data with the W95/98 installation.
Moreover, since VB's upgrade to version 2, W95 has become horribly
slow, whilst the XP installation does not suffer from this phenomenon.
Which is the reason why I took at look at VMware for W95/98.