On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:24:47AM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> During bootup (Lenny) the console font changes to a thin, wiry font
> and then changes again to a font with much fatter characters.  The final
> font is very readable but when I start mutt the symbols used to indicate
> threading of messages are weird.

OK, install console-terminus then edit /etc/console-tools/config

------ /etc/console-tools/config -----------
# Turn on numlock by default
#LEDS=+num
APP_CHARSET_MAP=utf8
APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc1=utf8
APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc2=utf8
APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc3=utf8
APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc4=utf8
SCREEN_FONT=Uni3-TerminusBold16
------ /etc/console-tools/config -----------

The lines "# Turn on numlock by default" and "#LEDS=+num" should already
be there at the end of the file.

Do the threading symbols now show correctly?

I think that is all that is needed although you might want to check the
list archives as this problem has arisen in the past and there may be
something I've missed.

According to /usr/share/doc/mutt/README.Debian:

l10n support
~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you want to see non-ASCII characters on a Debian system, there's no
use fiddling with the variable "charset", as described in the manual
page muttrc(5).
Instead, you'll need to have the Debian package "locales" installed on
your system and set the LANG or LC_CTYPE environment variable.
e.g. US users will want to add "export LC_CTYPE=en_US" to their
~/.bashrc.
If you have a /etc/locale.gen file read carefully the comment and do
what it says, or it will not work.
No, linux systems do not need --enable-locales-fix or
--without-wc-funcs,
so don't bother me saying these switches cure your problems.

BUT

I haven't done that and it works fine -- see:
chr...@box:~$ echo $LC_CTYPE

chr...@box:~$ echo $LANG
en_NZ.UTF-8

--