On 2009-03-27_21:09:19, Nima Azarbayjany wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a vfat partition on /dev/sda7.  I would like to use the option in
> Gnome to mount the file system automatically using the Properties dialog.  I
> open the Properties dialog, go to the Volume tab, and set the following:
>
> Mount Point: /media/f/
> File System: vfat
> Mount Options: rw nosuid
>
> I tried other combinations, changed the mount point to some directory under
> my home directory, tried different mount options as well as no mount option,
> but no success.  I get the following error message:
>
> mount_point cannot contain the following characters: newline,
> G_DIR_SEPARATOR (usually /)
>
> This error message does not make sense to me.  I have used /, but what else
> can be used?
>
> I can mount the file system using just "mount /dev/sda7 /media/f/".
>
> Please help!
>
> Nima

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but it may be useful: If
you are intending to share the contents of the drive with people who
use Windows, it might be a convenience to them if you used backslash
(\) as G_DIR_SEPARATOR on this storage device.

On the other hand, if you intend to use this drive only with Linux
systems, you should consider putting an ext2 or ext3 file system on
it, and not bothering with vfat. No GUI can completely hide the
inadequacies of vfat, and you are just starting to use the device.
Now is the time to eliminate one future annoyance.

I would not use Gnome to do either of tasks, using backslashes or
using ext2/3. I can't abide anything that smacks of Windows, so I
really don't recommend backslashes as file separators, and I puzzled
as to why Gnome offers a user the opportunity to select anything but
forward slash.

--
Paul E Condon
pecon...@mesanetworks.net