On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 05:24:27AM +0100, Mark McCorkell wrote:

> I've no handy solution, since after way too much messing around with
> configuration files, I took the easy option and killed off PulseAudio.
> IMHO, there are still too many applications that don't work nicely
> enough with Pulse to make it worth the hassle*.

How does plain ALSA do with USB audio? I installed Pulse a
while ago because of problems getting USB audio to work, and
though it breaks every five minutes and I can't figure out how
to fix it, it _does_ play through USB speakers. If ALSA
supports that well enough, I'll happily move back--I don't
have any need for networked audio servers, or twelve different
kinds of volume controls, it's just my desktop.

Jesse Sheidlower