Thomas Krennwallner wrote:

I don't know if it's essential for you, but if you remove kdebase-audiolibs and (only the package) kde (the only package which depends on kdebase-audiolibs), than you could do an upgrade.

This fixed it. An "apt-get dist-upgrade" would now succeed. But it will have to wait until next weekend, since it says it will download 291MB of archives, which will take 21.6 hours over my modem.

I'll try to remove bunches of stuff before I dist-upgrade.

Thanks,
David Crane