Kelly Harding wrote:
Aiming to get a couple of 1Tb drives to migrate the 3x500Gb RAID5
array to a RAID1 and use two of the 500Gb drives for thhe new boot
drive with LVM (With /boot / /home and so on on it).

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

One suggestion: think very carefully about whether you really want to do this.

I'm currently in my third day of rebuilding a machine that had /boot and / on an LVM volume on raided disks. After one drive died, I ended up in a weird mode where LVM was mounting one of the component drives, rather than the raid volume - with the long result being that I'm reinstalling the o/s from scratch and hoping that my backups are good enough that I haven't lost any user data.

Sigh...

--
Miles R. Fidelman, Director of Government Programs
Traverse Technologies 145 Tremont Street, 3rd Floor