On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 15:37:20 -0300, Daniel Bareiro wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm trying to test the operation of my headset in Debian GNU/Linux
> Squeeze to be able to use it with a softphone. Although the sound works
> with the rest of the applications with the headphone, in order to listen
> what I say I must put practically the microphone grazing the mouth :-S

Just to be sure that I understand you correctly: You do hear your voice in the
headphones but the volume is way too low, correct? Or do you suspect that the
microphone is completely muted or broken?

> I'm using a 2.6.26-1-amd64 kernel with the following hardware of audio:
>
> # lspci|grep Audio
> 00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
>
> The headset is a Genius HS-02N with the following characteristics:

[...]

That should be OK. The kind of problem you are having is typically
caused by low settings for the microphone in Capture, Playback or both
(assuming there is no hardware mute button or microphone volume control
on the device that has to be adjusted).

> I tried regulating several parameters in alsamixer but it did not change
> to much the situation. Some idea of how being able to solve it?

Post the output of this, please:

amixer scontrols | cut -d\' -f2 | grep -i mic | while read N; do amixer sget
"$N"; done

          Florian   |