On Apr 12, 2009, at 7:48 PM, H.S. wrote:

Hal Vaughan wrote:

On Apr 12, 2009, at 12:20 PM, H.S. wrote:

Hal Vaughan wrote:
I'm trying to use rsync to back up from one computer to another.
Recently I had used NIS so all my systems had the same user on them so there was never a permission issue. Now I'm trying to back up from my
iMac to my Debian server.  I can't put the iMac on NIS (or probably
could, but it would NOT be fun to set up, I'm sure).

In the past I could use:

rsync -av server::Writing /data/Writing

And all my writing would be backed up from the local /data/ writing to
the server.  Now that I'm not using NIS, I use:

rsync -av m...@server::Writing /data/Writing

I use rsync through SSH without any problems. If you have SSH server
running on the remote machine, try:
$> rsync -ave ssh m...@server:Writing /data/Writing

where "me" is your username at server machine.

I missed something here.  When I do this, it connects and instead of
using the module I specify, it copies the files to my home (or "me's"
home) directory on that computer.

The above command should copy files from ${HOME}/Writing (without a
path, a directory is assume to be in the starting folder, your home)
from the remote machine to /data/Writing on the machine you are running
this command on. If you want to get another path, specify that after
m...@server:

I did several tests and that's what I verified. There is a way to specify it differently, using "-rsa," but in the long run I decided it was better to just specify the path instead, using "../.." to get to the root directory. Using just a slash at the start of the path still seemed to start with the home directory. The modules would be nice in this case, since I could end up changing the path at some time, but for now it works okay.

Thanks for the help!

Hal