Hi,

I haven't had that problem before, i can't really help (plus it's a
friday night and most of the list answers from their work places i
guess). The only drive that failed on me just became completely
unusable, period. It would make a snaping sound repeatedly (like
releasing something that was held by a spring) and the BIOS would
complain there's no OS to be found.

Does the screen go blank after the POST or is it always blank from the
second you power on? If the first, well, it could be Debian or could
be the hard-drive. If the latter then it's most likely the hardware:
probably the motherboard, or the video card (home desktops aren't
usually configurable to ignore lack of keyboard/monitor), or...
something else.

Well, you can't edit the MBR. You do what you tried to do: overwrite it.

It may be a silly question, but since liveCDs mount their systems onto
RAM, i guess you mounted your harddrive's /dev (as in hda or sda), not
the liveCD's?

> rebooted without the livecd, and nothing. I put my hand on the top of the
> system, and it feels like the hard drive keeps searching for something to
> load. I am wondering if my harddrive is failing.

Well if you can mount /dev and all i guess the harddrive isn't really
failing, otherwise you'd have lots of I/O errors flying around and
driving your kernel crazy.

Sorry but i'm no Debian guru and i'm not experienced with these
hardware issues. Maybe linuxquestions.org or some hardware forum might
be of more use. don't forget to specify the computer hardware.

HTH,
nuno

/\  ascii-rubanda kampajno - kontraŭ html-a retpoŝto