Thanks for the other suggestions. I had already started the copy so I didn't receive the last few messages until
the copy was completed but will note them in my handydandy notebook
.

alex wrote:

I've been trying to copy the contents of a partition (source) to another partition (destination) that has a large number
of files that need to be overwritten. The command I've tried is:

# cp -apRv source/* /destination/

The command works but it requires that I manually respond 'yes' for each overwrite. I thought that the r or R option
would do an automatic overwrite but apparently it doesn't.

What should the option be to do automatic overwrites with the ' cp ' command?