On Tue, 12 May 2009, Andrei Popescu wrote:

On Ma,12.mai.09, 17:22:35, Miguel Obliviemo wrote:

You install the WM/DE you want (by using your preferred package manager)

I don't understand.  I used apt-get, and it (fvwm) is on the machine.
I don't know what "preferred package manager" means.

There are many package managers, use the one you like (aptitude,
synaptic, apt-get,...)

and then in GDM, before you login, you just choose your "session".

In GDM, before I log in, I don't see an option to choose a session, I
just see a place to enter the login name.

It depends on the theme, but with the "Debian Moreblue Orbit" theme
there are three buttons at the bottom-left: "Language", "Session" and
"Actions".

Sorry to be so very dumb.  It was there and I had never noticed.  And it
has a menu to select other window managers, exactly as you say.

I found it when I cold booted and found that the gdm login didn't
respond to the keyboard, so I had to stay there and look around.  And
found what I'd never seen before, including "Session", and including
under "Actions", fortunately, an option to reboot by mouse click.

Thanks...

--
Miguel