On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 01:11:54PM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 08:51:38AM -0300, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
>
> > As other people have pointed out, the way to capture a command's output
> > is with $(command) (or `command`, though this is a bashism).
>
> $(command) is bashism. `command` is the "pure" bourne shell form.
>
> And likewise on dash and busybox ash, which are the other shells I have
> here. IIRC latest posix includes $(command) as well.

It is definitely *not* a bashism, given that it is supported by POSIX.
It is supported by all POSIX shells, and this does include dash.

You should definitely use $() in place of backticks where possible, and
portability concerns are unwarranted here given that all real shells
include support for it.  posh is an exception, but is not a POSIX shell
since it does not support this POSIX feature.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh