On Seg, 18 Mai 2009, Freddy Freeloader wrote:
It is also standard flow to fix bugs that are found in testing, not to always wait until a new version comes down from Sid.

No, that's not the Debian flow.

That's the purpose for which testing exists. Those bugs not found while a package is in Sid are fixed in testing when fixing them does not require a new dependency or will break some other package. So why should this bug be any different? It exists in testing so it should be fixed in testing too, not allowed to just sit for months when it's a very simple fix. I could see the lag if this was a bug that's difficult to fix and in some package that hardly anyone uses, but that is not the case with g-v-m or this bug. It exists in every Gnome installation by default.

I think you are misunderstanding the way Debian testing/unstable works. Packages never enter testing directly. All packages enter unstable, stay there for a set number of days (the standard is 10, but can be made smaller for things such as security fixes), and if sufficient conditions are met, then migrate to testing. These conditions involve, among possible others, number of serious bug present and if all the dependencies necessary for the package are in testing and can be migrated together.

There is not separate "bug fixing in testing" and "in unstable". Bugs are fixed, and new packages enter unstable.

I don't know what is the case with this specific bug. It may have been fixed in unstable, but Gnome is in process of a big migration (along with KDE) to testing, so it is normal that Gnome packages are blocked in unstable until everything can be migrated.

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
edua...@kalinowski.com.br