I have given up on trying to get flash working again on my existing system. I have decided, since I have a spare partition with LVM volumes for /home, /var, /usr, /tmp, and swap that I would just reformat them with mke2fs -j and reinstall using debootstrap into these volumes. I followed the instruction in Appendix D of the installation manual, but they seem to have changed since I installed Lenny the first time (and Etch, before that) and there is no mention of how to install on LVM volumes.

Here is what I have done:

I reformatted:
        /dev/hda1    (for /)
        /dev/vg0/tmp
        /dev/vg0/usr
        /dev/vg0/var
        /dev/vg0/home

I did:
        mkswap /dev/vg0/swap
        sync;sync;sync
        swapon /dev/vg0/swap

I mounted /dev/hda1 on /mnt/debinst
I chrooted into /mnt/debinst

I made mountpoints for:
        /tmp
        /var
        /usr
        /home

I exited the chroot

I mounted:
        /dev/vg0/tmp on /mnt/debinst/tmp
        /dev/vg0/var on /mnt/debinst/var
        /dev/vg0/usr on /mnt/debinst/usr
        /dev/vg0/home on /mnt/debinst/home

I used debootstrap --arch ARCH lenny \
/mnt/debinst http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian

to install the base system.

I then chrooted into /mnt/debinst, again, and did:
        cd \dev
        MAKEDEV generic

The instructions then say to create /etc/fstab and mount your partitions. It tried that, but I can not access the LVM volumes to mount them within the chroot. I seem to have everything that should have been installed (150+ screens of files from ls -R /usr), but df says that I have only used 9% of 280003 blocks of sysfs mounted on /sys. Nothing else is shown. Can I just install lvm2 from within the chroot? Will that allow me, then, to mount the volumes? Do I want to mount the LVM volumes, since it seems that everything is available. But then, what happens once I have everything ready to reboot into the new partitions if I can't mount the volumes then? I don't remember having this problem when I initially installed Lenny, which was also done through a debootstrap chroot.

Are there instructions somewhere for doing the install onto LVM volumes?

I REALLY want to get a system with working flash.  So does my daughter!

Help!  Please.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro...@yahoo.com