On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Jose Luis Rivas Contreras <
ghostba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark Quitoriano wrote:
> > anyone tried to install debian on xserve? what architecture do i need to
> > use? x86_64?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Mark Quitoriano
> > http://asterisk.org.ph
> >
> > Fan the flame...
> > http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=user/register&r=19441
> > <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=user/register&r=19441>
> According to [1] there seems to be an issue because XServe's running EFI
> instead of a BIOS actually. But seems is only an issue with x86_64, so
> if it's a Intel Core 2 Duo you can run i386 there which seems to have
> EFI support enabled.
>
> [1]
>
> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=121061&sid=ccc77e165b7101b9d0ad2d52371e1204
>
> Howdy,

Some time has passed.  I google and don't see much newer
than this about the progress with booting with EFI.  I see
one reference to something making it into the newer kernels.

Has this made it into an installer and is there a grub/lilo boot loader
which will work on the Apple-Intel Xserve?  Ours is Xeon 64 bit, so
no chance on the i386 solution.

Also we have a nice XServe RAID storage system with it - given to us by
a department which is finished with it or unable to use it.  I wonder if
the HBA (looks like near line SAS connections) will be supported in Linux
kernel.

Regards,

--Donald