On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 2:16 PM, George <nutn...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I was a little disappointed being called out on my suggestions in my
> original post. Obviously the person isn’t a sys admin and from my
> understanding the whole purpose of sudo is so the user only has root
> privileges for that given command instead of during the entire terminal
> session. I personally see nothing wrong with what I suggested other then
> using visudo to edit the sudoers file instead of vim.

i too was disappointed.  i tried su and authentication failed.  how do i
update my system without being able to log in as root?

now i don't mind a spirited discussion on the pros and cons of sudo vs. su,
but my original question still has not been answered; and with this new
development i am really at a loss.

you are saying that  sudo and su are not available from a user console, then
how do i fix this so i can become root when i need to?

cheers, dwain

--
"Fear of the devil is one way of doubting God.  " - Kahlil Gibran