[Changed Subject as it no longer concerns emacs.]

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 07:14:20PM -0400, Chris Jones wrote:

> I believe you would want to use the Ctrl-P & Ctrl-N mappings to navigate
> the "command-line mode" history in vim so as to be in sync' with the
> readline emacs defaults.
>
> In vim this can be achieved by adding:
>
> :cnoremap <C-P>         <Up>
> :cnoremap <C-N>         <Down>
>
> to one's .vimrc.
>
> The only thing is that when you issue for instance the ":set paste"
> command and need to retrieve later, with the arrow keys you can type
> ":set" and do an <up arrow> and vim will retrieve the "paste" part of
> the command and append to the ":set" that you typed.
>
> For some reason this does not appear to work when you remap <Up> to
> Ctrl-P.. the previous ommand command is retrieved in its entirety and
> whatever you typed beyond the ":" is ignored.

You could take this to vim_...@googlegroups.com
http://googlegroups.com/group/vim_use/subscribe

Warning! warning!, (1) it is a high volume list (2) vim is also availabe
for windoze.

> Sorry about sloppy post earlier.. hope this benefits s/o on the list.
                                 ^^^
                                 (see P.S)

We both got our modes mixed up. :(

P.S. If you want to do a proper ellipsis (i.e … ), put this in your
.vimrc

if has("digraphs")
    digraph ., 8230    " ellipsis (…)
endif