On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 07:48:41PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2009-06-14 19:13 +0200, Rick Pasotto wrote:
>
> > 'dlocate' now shows in the update list for 'aptitude -s safe-upgrade'
> > and when I try 'aptitude install dlocate' I'm told that 'locate' will be
> > removed.
>
> This is because locate is marked as automatically installed, and the old
> dlocate is the only package depending on it.  The new dlocate has
> dropped this dependency, so locate becomes unused.
>
> > However, when I enter 'aptitude why-not locate' I'm told "Unable to find
> > a reason to remove locate."
>
> Because the installed version of dlocate still depends on it.  Try
> "aptitude why locate".
>
> If you want to keep the locate package, just use
> "aptitude unmarkauto locate".  However, I recommend to switch to mlocate
> which is standard in Lenny and newer.  See the mlocate package
> description for its advantages over findutils' locate.

Thank you. I now understand.

'mlocate' was already installed but I had overlooked the line about
/usr/bin/locate using /etc/alternatives to actually point to mlocate.

Did the 'locate' database get purged when 'locate' was removed?
'mlocate' stores different info so it uses its own.

--
"A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only
 advise his client to plant vines." -- Frank Lloyd Wright