Another update:

Using a different recipe does work.
Instead of the expert_recipe, I used choose_recipe with separate partitions:

d-i partman-auto/method string regular
d-i partman-auto/disk /dev/cciss/c0d0
d-i partman-auto/purge_lvm_from_device boolean true
d-i partman-auto/choose_recipe select Separate /home, /usr, /var, and /tmp
partitions
d-i partman/confirm_write_new_label boolean true
d-i partman/choose_partition \
       select Finish partitioning and write changes to disk
d-i partman/confirm boolean true

This seems to work. But I am still not satisfied. Looking further for a
solution...