On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 23:13, Jacob Anawalt wrote:

> #192.168.1.1 doesn't get any traffic from us
> iptables -A OUTPUT -d 192.168.1.1 -j DROP
>
> That's the 'plumbing' level access to iptables which works for all Linux kernels
> supporting iptables, irreguardless of distribution. In other words, your rules
> failing on Debian should fail on RH or Mandrake.

I think I've gotten a lot of the concept now, but this isn't what I
meant.  Initially I was coming from an understanding of "fstab is a
static file of rules the system reads to set up mounts, .gtkrc is a
static file of rules the system reads to set up GUI"...

Later, there is the issue of when is the system in a configuration where
it needs firewall rules?  The Debian manual says runlevels 2-5 are user
runlevels - these are enshrined in the update-rc.d defaults.  K(ill)
links are created by default in runlevels 0, 1, 6.  Ok.

But my network is up in runlevel 1.  (From "telinit 1".  I haven't tried
it from the boot prompt.)

And then there's the question of coordination with who-knows-what other
systems that are or aren't starting, stopping, etc.

I meant a picture of where the rules are kept, how they're initialized,
and what the implications are.  I can find many sites with info about
how to write rules that do X.  I couldn't find a site that told me what
file to put them in.

Now I know there isn't one, and some other things about it all...

> A better post might be:
> What am I doing wrong with iptables rules
>
> Here are my rules. They block all access to the internet, but I cant see
> why.
> #iptables -L
> <output from command>
> #iptables -t <other table(s)> -L
> <output from command(s)>

I've appended my current rules.  Email fetches from my pop3 account ok,
but the browser doesn't connect.

> It's pretty apparent that this text has bothered you. Perhaps you could
> post a bug against /etc/default/ipchains with a  patch adding additional
> helpfull text, like a pointer to netfilter.org and the
> /usr/share/doc/ipchains/README.Debian.gz file and whatever other
> information you think is helpful for newbies.
>
> The solution isn't broken. 'Works for me' :) It just isn't optimal as
> the other posters have pointed out. The ifup-down method sounds very
> sensible. I didn't have an issue with the text, infact I had a good
> laugh reading it when I set up my sysem for /etc/init.d/iptables.

I may.  For now, I am going to keep studying until I do understand.
Then I'll be in a better position to say why I think this isn't good
language (if I still think it isn't when I get there).

Cheers,
Bret

eth0:   192.168.2.30    assigned by DHCP from gateway/router on cable
                        modem.  This is where I browse from.

vmnet1: 192.168.174.1   virtual network device to communicate with
                        VMware Windows 98 session.  Requires no access
                        to the outside.  A bridge to eth0 provides
                        Internet access from VMware.  (I think.)

iptables -t nat -L:

Chain PREROUTING (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain POSTROUTING (policy DROP)
MASQUERADE  all  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

iptables -L:

Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     all  --  ganesha              anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.174.1        anywhere
DROPl      all  --  anywhere             255.255.255.255
DROPl      all  --  anywhere             192.168.174.255
DROPl      all  --  anywhere            !192.168.2.30
DROPl      all  -- !192.168.174.0/24     anywhere
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpts:0:tcpmux
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:daytime
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:linuxconf
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:sunrpc
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp
dpts:netbios-ns:netbios-ssn
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpts:161:162
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:445
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:1214
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:1999
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:2049
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:3049
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:4329
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:6346
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:3128
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:8000
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:www
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:8
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:webcache
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:12345
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:65535
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:linuxconf
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpts:exec:printer
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:socks
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpts:x11:6009
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:6112
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpts:0:1
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:daytime
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:98
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:sunrpc
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp
dpts:netbios-ns:netbios-ssn
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpts:snmp:snmp-trap
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:445
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:1214
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:1999
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:2049
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:3049
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:4329
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:6346
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:3128
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:8000
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:www
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:8
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:webcache
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:12345
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:65535
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpts:snmp:snmp-trap
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:route
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:ntp
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpts:talk:ntalk
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:1427
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:9000
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:ssh
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:auth
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
DROPl      all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
DROPl      all  --  anywhere             255.255.255.255
DROPl      all  --  anywhere             192.168.174.255
DROPl      all  -- !192.168.174.0/24     anywhere
DROPl      icmp --  anywhere             anywhere           icmp !echo-request
[...]
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:domain
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:ssh
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:www
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:https
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:ftp
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:ftp-data
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:smtp
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:pop3
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:pop3s
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:imap3
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:imaps
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:11371
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:time
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     udp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           udp dpt:domain state NEW
ACCEPT     udp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           udp dpt:time state NEW
ACCEPT     icmp --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           icmp echo-request state
NEW
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
DROPl      all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy DROP)
DROPl      all  --  anywhere             255.255.255.255
DROPl      all  --  anywhere             192.168.174.255
DROPl      all  --  anywhere            !192.168.174.0/24
DROPl      all  -- !192.168.2.0/24       anywhere
[...]
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:domain
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:ssh
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:www
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:https
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:ftp
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:ftp-data
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:smtp
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:pop3
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:pop3s
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:imap3
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:imaps
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:11371
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:time
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     udp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           udp dpt:domain state NEW
ACCEPT     udp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           udp dpt:time state NEW
ACCEPT     icmp --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           icmp echo-request state
NEW
ACCEPT     icmp --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           icmp echo-request state
NEW
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
REJECTl    all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain DROPl (168 references)
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere           LOG level warning prefix
`DROPl:'
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain REJECTl (1 references)
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere           LOG level warning prefix
`REJECTl:'
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           reject-with
icmp-port-unreachable