2009/7/19 Osamu Aoki <os...@debian.org>

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 07:46:59PM +0800, sha liu wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >   What I want to do is:
> >   If I want to build a package(for example dpkg) from source, how
> > should I recursively get all the dependent *source* packages of it?
> > This means not only the direct dependency of the package but also the
> > dependent of the dependent...I know "apt-get build-dep" will only
> > *install* the dependent *binary* packages.
>
> Do you really mean "ALL".  You should start with build-essential
> packages if you mean to say all build-dep packages.  But I do not know
> why you do this.  You are doing cross compile.  I do not see point of
> downloading source for all build-dep.

I  just to build the dpkg. So I think getting all source packages of
build-dep is the first step. Then I'll build and install the build-dep and
finally build dpkg. Is this the way to go?

> I guess this is best answered by reading CLFS itself.  I am no expert.
>
> >   I want to do this because I need to build dpkg on a CLFS system
> > (think it as a minimal linux system without debianization), and it's
> > crazy to download all dependent source packages of dpkg, right?
>
> Not really if you need dpkg as you say for your system. After all you
> asked to have "Cross-Compiled Linux From Scratch" (a.k.a CLFS).

Yeah, I just realize that. Thanks for your re-confirmation :-)

> If you are building installation image only, you may not need dpkg.

Why not? I thought installation image should prepare all essential  packages
which definitely includes dpkg if it's a Debian image, right?

--
Best,
Sha Liu