On Mark Neidorff wrote:
> I just installed Lenny on a new SATA disk in my AMD64 system (4 Gig of
> ram).
>
> I manually partitioned the SATA disk:
>
> sda1 /        10Gb
> sda2 /usr   10Gb
> sda3 /var   10 Gb
> sda5 swap  1 Gb
> sda6 /tmp   1 Gb
> sda7 /home the rest of the drive....about 456 Gb
>
> and the installer formatted it for me.  All the normal steps...network,
> time....(I've done installs before.  I have etch on hda in the same
> box). Packages installed and configured without error.  Set up root and
> my accounts.  Installed grub to boot the system then the big reboot,
> and....
>
> Error loading operating system
>
> no grub menu.  Black screen with white letters 80 X 25 mode.
>
> Any idea what may have messed up and how to get the system booting?

If I understand you correctly you have at least two disks in your system
and one of them is a PATA drive and the other is a SATA drive. This could
lead to some confusion for the boot loader, because the order in which the
drives are set up by the BIOS may differ from what your boot loader thinks
it is (meaning the mapping from (hdX) to /dev/[hs]dY might be wrong). For
this you got the /boot/grub/device.map file. Please make sure, that the
entries in that file are correct. Additionally you have to make sure you
install your boot loader in the first hard disk (as seen from your BIOS).

What you can do now is to unplug all but one hard disk and try to boot and
see if your error persists. I would suggest to unplug your SATA drive
first. If you cannot boot into etch your SATA drive is most probably the
first drive and you installed grub to your PATA drive. If you can boot
into etch your SATA drive is still the first one, but you installed grub
to your SATA drive and have a bad device.map file, or did not install grub
at all. And so on.

Next would be to fix your boot loader by booting into a rescue system,
chrooting into your file systems, fixing your device.map and installing
your boot loader again (grub-install /dev/[hs]da).